Best of Baseball
- Japan win the 2009 World Baseball Classic after beating South Korea by 5–3 (F/10) in the final at Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, California.
- New York City opens two new ballparks, The New Yankee Stadium for the New York Yankees and Citi Field for the New York Mets.
- Mark Buehrle of the Chicago White Sox throws the 18th perfect game in Major League history against the Tampa Bay Rays.
- The New York Yankees defeat the Philadelphia Phillies 4 games to 2 to win their 27th World Series championship. Hideki Matsui is named World Series MVP
- The Yomiuri Giants defeat the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters 4 games to 2 to win their 21st Japan Series championship. The Giants’ Shinnosuke Abe is named MVP.