Best Of Football
- The Florida Gators defeat the Oklahoma Sooners 24-14 in front of a Dolphin Stadium record crowd of 78,468 to win the 2009 BCS National Championship Game
- Super Bowl XLIII at Raymond James Stadium, Tampa — Pittsburgh Steelers defeat the Arizona Cardinals 27-23. Santonio Holmes Super Bowl MVP
- September 20 — The Dallas Cowboys play their first game in the new Cowboys Stadium against the New York Giants and lose 31-33. The game drew an NFL record regular-season crowd of over 105,000.
- September 27 – Detroit Lions defeat the Washington Redskins to end a 19-game losing streak dating back to December, 2007. This tied the 1942-45 Chicago Cardinals (who suspended independent operations in 1944) and the 1961-62 Oakland Raiders for the second longest such streak after the 1976-77 Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- United Football League scheduled to begin play October 8